“It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. Hard is what makes it great.”— Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks) A League of Their Own *
A lifelong writer, I blame an Austin Film Festival talk by Peter Hedges for my realization that directing would further satisfy the bossy, control freak tendencies. From storyboard to set decoration, I like to have input. Could that make me a natural born … showrunner???
Some highlights of my film, video, and TV experiences:
- Pretty Dead — mockumentary short film
- Reconciling Jimmy — one-hour procedural pilot
- Blue Bloods — “Talk to Me” — one-hour procedural spec script
- The Maid of Honor — narrative comedic short (see my storyboard, above)
- The Jane Austen Syndrome — feature screenplay
- A gazillion hours of Doubleday editor and author videos (producer) that I now wish I’d kept for blackmail purposes.
Here’s my reel (which, as always, needs updating):
*Screenplay by Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel